Senior Human Resources Specialist - Leaves, Compliance, and Consultations (Hybrid or Remote)
About the Opportunity:
Aspen Square Management, a large privately held real estate investment and property management firm, is seeking a savvy and seasoned Human Resources professional to join its growing multi-state team. The Senior Human Resources Specialist - Leaves, Compliance, and Consultations position will be responsible for implementing various HR compliance and policy initiatives and managing leaves and accommodations in accordance with federal, state and local laws and regulations. The Senior Specialist will also provide guidance to company managers on sensitive and complex employee matters. The Senior Specialist will regularly partner with our Payroll and Benefits, Legal, and Management/Operations Teams. The ideal candidate possesses strong organization skills, solid drafting and research skills, a deep understanding of leaves, accommodations and employee performance challenges, a passion for operations, a commitment to process and procedure and an ability to work within a dynamic, fast-moving, entrepreneurial organization. This position is both hands-on and strategic.
- With the assistance of outside and internal resources, monitor all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations that may impact the company’s multi-state operations and workforce.
- Implement policies and procedures to ensure continuous compliance with federal, state, or local laws and regulations, and recommend necessary changes to company practices and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Assist in the revision of multi-state employee handbooks and HR-related policies.
- Manage directly all aspects of employee leaves of absence in compliance with company leave policies and all federal, state and local laws and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, communications, drafting and reviewing policies, notices, forms and other paperwork, determining leave eligibility, designating leave, requesting and reviewing medical and fitness for duty certifications (as applicable), implementing and managing approved leave, and coordinating the employee’s return to work.
- Manage all aspects of employee accommodation requests in compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, communications directly with employees, drafting and reviewing policies, notices, forms, and other paperwork, determining eligibility, requesting and reviewing medical and fitness for duty certification (as applicable), and implementing and managing all aspects of approved accommodation(s).
- Provide guidance and direction to managers and employees on applicable federal, state and local employment laws and employment benefits; including, but not limited to, short-term and long-term disability, FMLA, ADA, USERRA, etc.
- Manage COBRA administration and compliance.
- Partner with Payroll and Benefits team in HRIS data entry, weekly reporting, unemployment claims, leave management, benefit eligibility management, audits and HRIS system configuration needs and/or changes related to Leave administration, ADA Administration, benefits administration, and records management.
- Partner with Payroll and Benefits team to administer company paid and unpaid time-off programs in accordance with all federal, state and local laws and company policies.
- Provide guidance to managers regarding difficult or sensitive employee matters, ensuring adherence to all federal, state and local laws and company policies.
- Assist with a range of employment relations queries, projects and reports, including counseling, dispute or conflict resolution, investigations and disciplinary actions.
- Implement HR benefit compliance calendars. This includes, but is not limited to, distribution and record retention of all required employee communications and benefit documentation in accordance with ERISA, HIPPA and other applicable laws.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of leaves and accommodations in accordance with specified legal requirements and HR best practices.
- Manage retention and destruction guidelines for company personnel and benefit records in accordance with applicable laws.
- Assist other members of the HR team as needed with company’s benefit programs, including, open enrollment and other HR projects.
- Other HR duties as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, or related field preferred.
- 5 -7 years relevant experience.
- Multi-state compliance experience required
- SHRM-CP certification preferred
- Strong knowledge in HRIS systems; Experience with Paylocity a plus
- Advanced proficiency with MS office software
- Ability to make independent decisions, resolve issues, and handle sensitive and confidential information
- Experience in handling difficult conversations
- Exceptional communication skills
- Remote work possible
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits including:
- Health, dental, vision, short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Flexible spending plan
- 401k Retirement plan with generous company match
- Paid holidays & vacation
- Gorgeous new offices in Agawam, Massachusetts
- Apartment & other discounts
About the Company:
Aspen was founded sixty years ago by local entrepreneur and philanthropist Harold Grinspoon when he purchased his first duplex. Mr. Grinspoon’s incredible business and financial success growing Aspen Square Management allowed him to start his own Foundation and become one of 136 pledgers nationwide who joined the Giving Pledge established by Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates. That same entrepreneurial spirit that drove the launch of the company is still very present today.
Based in Agawam, MA, Aspen Square Management owns and manages approximately 14,000 apartment units in fifteen states. Known for its fast-paced, people-centric culture, Aspen invests heavily in value-add repositioning and has acquired, renovated and managed over 80,000 apartments in our history (check out our 1 minute “Our Story” video at www.aspensquare.com to see an Aspen transformation!) All apartment community operations are supported from our Home Office which employs about 100 of our 600 employees, while the majority of our employees work from our seventy plus apartment communities located throughout the country. Financially sound, positioned for continued growth, and known for excellence in management within the multi-family housing industry, Aspen is an incredible place to grow your career and truly make a positive impact on people.