About the Opportunity:
Aspen Square Management, one of the nation’s largest privately held real estate investment and property management firms with over $2 Billion in assets, is seeking a business savvy, hands on finance, accounting and business strategy leader to assume the role of Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The CFO will be a key member of the Company’s senior leadership team. This unique position offers the opportunity to have a significant voice in setting overall business strategy for growth and profitability; engage in challenging, diverse and rewarding work; and join a very profitable and successful company at the partner level with the opportunity to create significant personal wealth.
About the Company:
Aspen was founded nearly sixty years ago by local entrepreneur and philanthropist Harold Grinspoon when he purchased his first duplex. Mr. Grinspoon’s incredible business and financial success growing Aspen Square Management allowed him to start his own Foundation and become one of 136 pledgers nationwide who joined the Giving Pledge established by Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates.
Based in West Springfield, MA, Aspen Square Management owns and manages approximately 14,000 apartment units in thirteen states. Known for its fast-paced, entrepreneurial, people-centric culture, Aspen invests heavily in value-add multifamily real estate opportunities. Approximately 80 of the Company’s 600 employees work in the Home Office, supporting apartment communities and onsite teams across the country. Nearly one-third of Home Office employees fall under the Accounting/Finance umbrella, which includes General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Shared Services (including Purchasing and Vendor Services), Payroll, and Property and Liability Insurance functions.
About the Role:
The CFO oversees and is responsible for all of Aspen Square’s financial operations including accounting, financings, tax planning & reporting, and entity structuring and will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Information Officer in setting overall business strategy for the company.
- Lead and participate in setting financial strategy, performance targets and operating efficiencies as the senior finance leader
- Provide oversight for Accounting and Finance, Accounts Receivable, Shared Services, and Payroll departments
- Champion the mentoring, growth, and development of all Accounting Professional Staff and Department Supervisors
- Monitor portfolio-wide cashflows and operational activity
- Oversight of Cash Management including improving and maintaining adequate financial liquidity to manage the acquisitions process and support business activity and growth.
- Oversight of all company financings including management of lender relationships
- Analyze accounting and tax implications for all material business decisions.
- Lead financial reporting and analytics function to develop and communicate key business insights.
- Manage and minimize the company's financial risk exposure by developing, implementing, and maintaining internal controls and accounting systems.
- Build and maintain relationships with insurance brokers, manage the placement of all insurance, and monitor insurance claims.
- Manage company insurance programs including Property, Liability, and Workers Comp and related claims management
- Participate in employee benefits committee including company 401(k); Health Insurance, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics, Finance Professional Certification (CPA, CFA, or similar), or MBA with Finance or Accounting concentration preferred.
- Extensive Financial Management or Accounting experience with prior CFO or Controller experience in a privately held firm preferred.
- Experience in partnership structures, multi-entity environments, PPM issuances, debt financings, partnership taxes and K-1 preparation.
- Strong communication skills
- Prior experience hiring, leading and motivating teams
- Strength in leadership and staff development
- Strong business acumen and instincts coupled with entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong analytical, managerial and communication skills
- Fluency in technology and systems
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with tight deadlines
- Motivated, proactive self-starter
- Technological sophistication
Compensation & Benefits Package:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Partnership interest with life-changing equity growth and wealth creation potential
- Comprehensive benefits program to include health, dental and vision insurance
- 401K Retirement program & match
- Long-term disability insurance
- Great work-life balance
- Informal, collaborative work environment
Submit resume and letter of interest. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.