It doesn’t matter if it is a large mansion or a tiny box; your home is your sanctuary. You go home to escape your busy life, and it is your place of solitude. It is where you can BE YOURSELF. The serenity of your home can quickly be spoiled by just one discourteous neighbor. Are you the bad neighbor or the annoyed neighbor?
Here are some tips to being the great neighbor everyone brags about:
1. Don’t “Pop Bottles” All Night Long…
Thinking about having an all-night kegger? Think again. Popping bottles and doing keg stands all night could sadly be keeping someone else up all night who has to be at work at 5am…NOT COOL! Be considerate of the noise level inside your apartment home. This will avoid an unpleasant letter from your neighbor or a violation notice from your apartment management the next day.
A few other ways to keep noise travel down:
1. Use the weekends or times when you know your neighbors work to vacuum or exercise in your apartment home. This kind of activity causes vibration and can be very annoying for your neighbors.
2. Create quiet time with your children. Teach them that when the sun goes down, play time is over. This will help not disturb neighbors with jumping and slamming doors as they are trying to wind down and go to sleep for the night.
3. Keep the volume on your electrics turned down so that you can hear it, but not your neighbors. Try to find walls to place your electronics that don’t directly connect with your neighbors. If high volume is important to you, investing in head phones could be a solution.
2. Be the Type of Person You Want to Meet…
Being a great neighbor starts from the moment you move in to your new apartment home. Show your neighbors a warm welcome and offer a helping hand. This will make it easier in the future if you need any help or if a concern comes up. Becoming great neighbors can allow each of you to come to the rescue when you have a dilemma or in the unfortunate case of an an emergency.
3. Parking Spaces are Prized Possessions in Apartment Life…
Parking can be one of the quickest ways to start a riot with your neighbor. If it is paid parking and you do not pay for the parking, DON’T park there. DON’T allow your visitors to park in your neighbor’s parking space either.
4. Quiet Pet = Happy Neighbors…
One of the biggest annoyances in apartment living is a neighbor’s pet barking all night long. Training your pet about apartment life can be essential in keeping your neighbors happy.
Tips on apartment living with a pet:
1. Some breeds of pets are not suitable for apartment living and can develop frustration from being cooped up in a small space all day, which could lead to destructive behavior. Is your pet ready for apartment living?
2. Always have your apartment management provide you with a copy of your community’s pet policies to be sure you are abiding by the rules, such as leash regulations and cleaning up after your pet.
3. Having a pet live in an apartment home can take dedication. Be prepared to set aside time for activity with your pet every day; this will help with behavioral issues. Consider hiring a dog walker while you are at work can be beneficial to your pet too.
“One of the marvelous things about community is that it enables us to welcome and help people in a way we couldn’t as individuals.” –Jean Vanier