About the Opportunity:
Aspen Square Management, one of the nation’s largest privately held real estate investment and property management firms, is seeking a savvy and seasoned Human Resources professional to join its growing HR team. The HR Operations Manager position is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team in overseeing the company’s Payroll, Benefits & HRIS Team. This role will work closely with the Sr. Director of HR & Talent to strategically manage the Company’s most important asset- its people. The HR Operations Manager will manage a team of 3 direct reports: Payroll Administrator, Benefit Administrator & HR Generalist. The ideal candidate possesses a passion for operations, a commitment to process and procedure and an ability to work within a dynamic, fast-moving, entrepreneurial organization. The HR Operations Manager reports to the Sr. Director of Human Resources & Talent.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Overseeing payroll processing of multi-state payroll for exempt & non-exempt employees on a bi-weekly basis, including off-cycle payments such as bonuses.
- Responsible for payroll compliance matters such as multi-state/multi-jurisdiction tax withholding, special payroll deductions, and payroll audits (workers’ compensation, 401k)
- Maintain and review HRIS system to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll, including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes and other deductions.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations and pay rate changes.
- Document and maintain administrative procedures for payroll process
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll wage and hour laws, including on-the-clock policies, base rate calculations, and overtime calculations.
- Maintain detailed records and documentation of all functions for audit purposes, in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Identify needs and make recommendations to software systems, and procedures as needed.
- Work collaboratively across departments to improve processes and streamline workflows.
Benefits & HRIS Responsibilities
- Responsible for oversight and administration of benefits, including responding to employee inquiries, reporting and processing as required.
- Oversee benefits enrollment process for new employees, including integrating benefits enrollment into HRIS system.
- Prepare annual reports such as EE01 filings, annual non-discrimination testing for benefit plans, ACA reporting, and other state and federal regulatory filings.
- Coordinate and implement file feed data to vendors
- Oversee yearly open enrollment process; Assist in benefit plan design, coordinate and attend open enrollment meetings, setup new benefit plans or changes in HRIS.
- Develop education and informative communications to enhance the understanding of the company’s benefits package.
- Assist Sr. Director of HR to develop and implement wellness initiatives including coordination of employee wellness events, vendor participation and employee communication.
- Maintain summary plan description records and associated forms, documents and communications; manage required filings, reports and audits related to the administration of employee benefit programs.
- Oversee Leave Administration process and work with Benefits Administrator to ensure best practice with federal and state requirements.
- Manage the 401K plan including enrollments, terminations, communication with plan participants, and support in the annual processes (non-discrimination testing, Form 5500, etc.)
- Identify needs and make recommendations to software, systems, and procedures as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Sr. HR Director.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Accounting or another associated discipline.
- 5-10 years relevant experience, supervisory capacity preferred.
- Certifications in payroll/or benefits administration with experience in all year end processing activities
- Knowledge of payroll, retirement and healthcare processes, laws and requirements.
- Strong knowledge in HRIS systems and associated federal & state laws
- Paylocity experience preferred, but not required
- Advanced proficiency with MS office software
- Strong analytical skills and proficiency in Excel (VLOOKUP, Formulas, Pivots)
- Ability to make independent decisions, resolve issues, and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work on a hybrid schedule based out of West Springfield, MA (3 days in office, 2 days remote).
About the Company:
Aspen was founded sixty years ago by local entrepreneur and philanthropist Harold Grinspoon when he purchased his first duplex. Mr. Grinspoon’s incredible business and financial success growing Aspen Square Management allowed him to start his own Foundation and become one of 136 pledgers nationwide who joined the Giving Pledge established by Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates. That same entrepreneurial spirt that drove the launch of the company is still very present today.
Based in West Springfield, MA, Aspen Square Management owns and manages approximately 14,000 apartment units in fifteen states. Known for its fast-paced, people-centric culture, Aspen invests heavily in value-add repositioning and has acquired, renovated and managed over 80,000 apartments in our history (check out our 1 minute “Our Story” video at www.aspensquare.com to see an Aspen transformation!) All apartment community operations are supported from our Home Office which employs about 100 of our 600 employees, while the majority of our employees work from our seventy plus apartment communities located throughout the country. Financially sound, positioned for continued growth, and known for excellence in management within the multi-family housing industry, Aspen is an incredible place to grow your career and truly make a positive impact on people.