Aspen Square Management, one of the nation’s largest privately held real estate investment and property management firms with over $2 Billion in assets, is seeking a business savvy, hands on finance and accounting professional to assume the role of Controller. The Controller will be a key member of the Senior Leadership Team. This unique position offers the opportunity to:
- Have a significant voice in setting overall business strategy for growth and profitability
- Oversee all finance and accounting functions throughout the organization
- Engage in challenging, diverse and rewarding work
- Grow a long-term career with a financially sound, entrepreneurial and very stable company
- Join a team of smart, passionate and dedicated professionals
- Opportunity to participate in our Equity/Profit Sharing Program (an opportunity unparalleled in western MA) which has created significant wealth for dozens of partners
About the Company:
Aspen was founded nearly sixty years ago by local entrepreneur and philanthropist Harold Grinspoon when he purchased his first duplex. Mr. Grinspoon’s incredible business and financial success growing Aspen Square Management allowed him to start his own Foundation and become one of 136 pledgers nationwide who joined the Giving Pledge established by Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates.
Based in West Springfield, MA, Aspen Square Management owns and manages approximately 17,000 apartment units in sixteen states. Known for its fast-paced, entrepreneurial, people-centric culture, Aspen invests heavily in value-add real estate investment opportunities. All apartment community operations are supported from our Home Office which employs about 100 of our 1,000 employees. Nearly three quarters of Home Office employees fall under the Accounting/Finance umbrella which includes departments such as Receivables, Payables, Purchasing, Vendor Services, Payroll, Property and Liability Insurance.
- Lead multiple Home Office Departments
- Supervision of Accounting Professional Staff and Department Supervisors
- Participate as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Set and execute the financial strategy of the company
- Manage internal controls and accounting procedures
- Oversight of all company financings including management of lender relationships
- Oversight of Cash Management
- Identify and respond to various needs within the organization to offer accounting/administrative/technology solutions
- Initiate and involvement in new system implementations, integrations and upgrades
- Oversee income tax preparation and tax planning
- Manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual closing process including journal entries, financial statement preparation, and related analysis.
- Manage company insurance programs including Property, Liability, and Workers Comp.
- Oversee real estate tax appeal process
- Participate in employee benefits committee including company 401(k); Health Insurance, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics required. CPA or MBA with Finance or Accounting Concentration Preferred.
- 7-10 years of Financial Management or Accounting experience. Prior Controller experience preferred.
- Strong business acumen and instincts coupled with entrepreneurial mindset
- Prior experience hiring, leading and motivating teams
- Strong analytical, managerial and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with tight deadlines
- Motivated, proactive self-starter
- Technological sophistication
- Direct, hands on experience with software system implementations and upgrades
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software with expertise in Excel
- Genuine interest in living and working in western MA/Northern CT for the long term
Compensation & Benefits Package:
- Generous salary commensurate with experience
- Partnership interest with life-changing equity growth potential
- Comprehensive benefits program to include health, dental and vision insurance
- 401K Retirement program & match
- Long-term disability insurance
- Great work-life balance
- Informal, collaborative work environment